DIY Airbrush Booth


Airbrush booths on the market are nice, but expensive!

This is my last project on my list and now I consider my workspace complete and ready to start doing some actual painting!

Let’s Make an Airbrush Booth

As you may know by looking around the net, airbrush booths can be very expensive.  Some of the cheapest I found were right around 200 dollars and they were tiny units.  I wanted something large enough that most car models and Warhammer vehicles would fit in it, but I wanted it to also accommodate terrain buildings which called for a medium sized air brush booth.  These units ranged from 350 to 1000’s of USD.  After looking at them in detail, I decided it wouldn’t be too difficult to cobble together my own booth from scrap wood, computer parts, and a little time.  This DIY article is not meant get into specific details such as measurements or diagrams, but it will give you an idea of the work involved and also a base to develop your own design from.

Parts and Materials

This list is not all inclusive but will give you an idea of what types of materials are needed.  I will list substitutions, which will be put in parenthesis, that I considered for various parts as well.

  • Box Base: 1×8 Pine (MDF, plywood, cabinet wood, tuperware tub)
  • Shroud: Luan (Plywood, cardboard, sheet plastic, sheet metal)
  • Shroud Frame: 1×1
  • Filter Rest: 1×1 and corner round
  • Exhaust: 3x 80mm computer case fans
  • 12v power supply or transformer
  • Filter: 16×25″ central air filter
  • Various hardware and paint
  • Porch screen

All I had to purchase was an air filter and screen for a grand total of 8 dollars.  Not bad at all.  If you scrounge around enough, I’m sure you will be able to reuse scrap material.  If I had to buy everything it would probably be around 75 dollars.


After studying the booths on the market, I decided on a bottom filtering design.  To fit almost anything I typically work on I made the dimensions roughly 26″ wide by 18″ deep by 24″ tall with a workable area of 25″x16″x16″.  I placed the fans inside the box blowing out of the back to pull air through the floor of the air brushing camber.  The top shroud is removeable in case I need to transport the unit.  The filter pulls directly up when it needs to be replaced.  Over the top of the filter will be porch screen and if I can find any I will place filter paper over that.  Overall, it is a very basic but effective design.


The base was constructed with wood screws and wood glue.  The base for the 1x8s was cut from luan and attached with tacks and glue.  The fan holes were traced and cut with a jigsaw.

A power supply was needed so I swiped the “wall wort” from an old battery charger that output 12v and was rated at 1.5amps.

The fans were soldered to the power supply.  The filter rest pieces were cut and attached with wood screws.  The filter was test fitted and then set aside.

The shroud was cut from the luan with a jigsaw and the 1×1 braces were glued and attached.  The shroud was then constructed with wood glue and screws.

Paint was applied and viola!

Finished Booth

It turned out quite well and was exactly what I was looking for.  It cost me very little and took around 3-4 hours total to build and paint.  Now I can finally begin to paint my miniatures and models!

This entry was posted in Tutorials. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s